Tough climbs, dead flat stretches, dirt roads, scenic views, smooth pavement, farms, waterfalls, small villages – the Housatonic Covered Bridge Trail – the Houbike Trail, for short – has it all. The following description of the Trail starts at the northern terminus in Ashley Falls, Massachusetts and heads south.
A few notes of explanation – and caution – are in order.
- The trail is along existing roads. It does not include any dedicated bike paths.
- Obey the traffic laws! Under Connecticut law, bicycles are vehicles and must obey the traffic laws including stopping at traffic lights and riding on the right hand side of the road.
- Wear a bicycle helmet! And wear it properly!
- Route 7 should be avoided unless you are an experienced cyclist who is comfortable riding along highways with fast moving traffic and minimal shoulders.
- The route is a mix of paved roads and dirt roads. Unless the description below states otherwise, road bikes are not recommended on the dirt roads.
- The good news is that the area is rural. The bad news is that services are limited. You should be sure to carry sufficient water and energy bars with you. Stock up when the opportunity presents itself.
- Cell phone service ranges from limited to non-existent. Don’t count it being available.
- There are numerous lightly traveled roads branching off of the routes described. Explore and enjoy!